Day 4 in the Life of a Christian Atheist
I grew no closer to atheism today. Perhaps my life is fully entrenched in Christianity. Tomorrow certainly won’t be any better as I start off my morning by meeting with my church pastor.
- Talked to a Christian friend who I haven’t spoken to in AGES, which really blessed me and lifted my spirits for a bit
- Spoke to a good friend from church who I consider my sister-in-Christ/accountability buddy and she always—and I mean ALWAYS—sets me straight when I’m feeling lousy and sorry for myself
- Still listened to that Solo Piano Pandora station that plays hymns
- Received encouragement from an online friend through comments and email
- Promised to pray for continued success for a friend NEXT WEEK (somehow this strikes me as funny—delayed prayer)
- Said “Praise the Lord” again when a slowpoke driver finally got off the one-lane road
I could go on and on about the things I didn’t do but since I’m supposed to be an “atheist” this week; it doesn’t matter, right? For this week, no, it doesn’t.
If only I could cut myself this much slack as a Christian. While a Christian should care about the things he or she does for God each day, something’s wrong if that Christian obsesses about it. (Something I tend to do.) More of Mary and less of Martha.
Maybe I should be a Christian atheist for a little bit longer… but I can’t resist thanking God for a somewhat enjoyable birthday.